HomeThe Cosmetics CounterThe PerfumeryThe SalonTech Support
Pages: 1

Dain

Loc: Lexington, MA
Reged: 08/25/01
Reviews

Images

Homepage

POLL: Any books/ music/ movies/ cultural etc. you've been enjoying lately?
#81584 - 07/29/08 02:50 PM

I'll post my answers separately.

Black hair, light golden-undertoned skin, dark brown eyes. Asian.

print post print thread remind me to answer this add to favorites flag post email thread register an account to use these features

dorothyshaw

Loc: Canada
Reged: 07/04/08
Homepage

Not much... new [Re: Dain]
#81592 - 07/30/08 10:07 PM

Read Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity; it was disjointed, as collections of essays usually are, but terribly interesting and clarifying.

Currently reading The Emperor of Scent. Science is not quite my thing, but it's worth working through it (it is very well written) for glimpses of Luca Turin being snotty.

I started As For Me And My House, a classic of depressing Canadian prairie literature, but I went through a rather lousy breakup at the end of April and I'm thinking books about unhappy marriages aren't quite the thing right now.

Apart from that, eh, the usual. The New Yorker had an article about lawns that was fascinating, and one about itching that made me cry out in disgust on a crowded bus, but both were a while ago. I can't even remember what's in the more recent issues.

Reddish brown hair, pale warm-toned skin with freckles, green eyes.

print post print thread remind me to answer this add to favorites flag post email thread register an account to use these features

Dain

Loc: Lexington, MA
Reged: 08/25/01
Reviews

Images

Homepage

Oy, forgot to put my answers... new [Re: Dain]
#81593 - 07/30/08 10:51 PM

Silly me.

READING
Um, I read the whole generational power struggle War of the Roses histories, both Henry VI parts 2-3 (I kinda skimmed the first one, thought it was rather boring) and Richard III. Pretty macabre stuff, especially 2 Henry VI but not so compelling if you're not English, and though Richard III is the best, it's weird knowing how inaccurate it is.

David Eddings' Belgariad, an easy fantasy classic

There's more I want to read... I want to read the Aeneid, which I never got around to reading in English, though I did some translating in high school. I should probably attempt Perfumes: The Guide, but I'm resisting the idea. And maybe something funny, and more contemporary, except I think my friend has my copy of A Confederacy of Dunces.

LISTENING
Grateful Dead, and some of my brother's rap, he's got a taste for the underground stuff.

WATCHING
I saw A Beautiful Mind again, quite an excellent movie. And it's actually rather amazing how good Disney used to be, looking at the sheer imaginative prowess of Alice in Wonderland--so many films have tried to do Carroll, but Disney came closest to the spirit of its inspiration, and yet it's wholly Disney at the same time. And 12 Angry Men, which is enjoyably holier-than-thou but not particularly realistic, great acting, though.

Black hair, light golden-undertoned skin, dark brown eyes. Asian.

Pages: 1

Forum Info
0 registered and 4135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Site owner:  Dain, Stevie, Colleen, WandaC, Suze, greendragon 

Forum Permissions
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 889

HomeThe Cosmetics CounterThe PerfumeryThe SalonTech Support

UBB.threads? 6.4.1

Generated in 0.586 seconds in which 0.481 seconds were spent on a total of 39 queries. Zlib compression disabled.